Hey everyone, welcome to our recipe site, If you’re looking for recipes idea to cook today, look no further! We provide you only the best Homemade Split Pea Soup with Ham recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Homemade Split Pea Soup with Ham recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Selecting The Best Foods Can Help You Stay Fit And Also Healthy.
The one thing that some of you may already understand is that by ingesting the right foods can have a substantial effect on your health. It’s also advisable to understand that there are foods that you’ll need to avoid at all costs and that would be the majority of food you find at the fast food chain restaurants. The foods that you will get from these fast food places are usually foods that are extremely unhealthy, loaded with fat and typically have little to no nourishment. Because of this we are going to be going over the food items that you should be ingesting that will have a good effect on your health.
You will recognize that different types of berries can be very good for your health. The amount of vitamin C that can be found in berries, is one of the principal reasons you need to be eating berries. Yet another thing you will understand is that the antioxidants in berries is actually higher than just about any other food that you may choose to eat and this can help with your circulatory system. Another thing you will notice that these antioxidants can help you with is keeping your cells healthy, this can help one’s body to fight off a variety of diseases.
If you decide that your overall health is important to you, you need to take these suggestions to heart. The one thing that you should actually avoid is all of the processed foods which you can easily buy in the stores, and start cooking fresh foods for your meals.
We hope you got insight from reading it, now let’s go back to homemade split pea soup with ham recipe. To cook homemade split pea soup with ham you need 10 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
The ingredients needed to make Homemade Split Pea Soup with Ham:
- Take 1 bag of split dried peas rinsed very well (I do not soak my split peas overnight).
- Prepare 1-2 of medium to large carrots cleaned and chopped into round nickel size.
- Provide 1 stalk of celery cleaned and diced, I do not dice the white or the leaf stalks of the celery. I toss in the diced and the rest using them for flavour.
- Provide of Option: ham (I cubed for her) I prefer no meat, although ham adds flavour.
- You need 2 of medium boxes : I do not measure : I covered the peas with Organic Low Sodium Chicken broth.
- Take 1 of large sweet onion diced.
- Get 2 cloves of garlic minced.
- You need of Milk about 1 to 1-1/2 cups.
- Take Dash of nutmeg.
- Get of Salt and pepper to taste.. I used kosher salt and fresh ground peppet.
Instructions to make Homemade Split Pea Soup with Ham:
- Using a large heavy gage pot. I used about 1/4 cup of olive oil..
- I allowed the pot get hot, poured out n rinsed split peas with diced carrots, onion, garlic, all of the celery pieces.
- Sauté until the vegetables are almost tender. Pour in slowly both boxes of low sodium chicken broth. Stir,.
- Place heat on medium high until it almost boils. Turn heat on low, allow to cook, about 20 minutes.
- Option: I like mine creamy, I use unsweetened almond milk. My friend brought skim milk..
- Once the soup is almost finished I like to use an Emersion hand blender to help thicken my soup.
- Option: I like a teaspoon full of A good plain green yogurt on top.
- Last but not least Enjoy .
Cook until the peas split and the soup has thickened. Add the chicken broth, water, chopped ham, split peas, thyme, kosher salt and black pepper. This is a very basic recipe for split pea and ham soup. My mother sent me the recipe years ago, and in her version, there is no ham, so this easily can be made vegetarian. To do so, simply omit the ham bone and the diced ham, and be more generous with the salt.
If you find this Homemade Split Pea Soup with Ham recipe valuable please share it to your good friends or family, thank you and good luck.